Sunday, January 9, 2011

52 in 52

52 in 52 weeks.

Books that is.

A lofty goal but one I am looking forward to trying to achieve.


It's January 9th and I'm already 7% towards my goal, having read 4 books already this year. (The benefits of a lazy summer staying at home knitting and reading)


Books read so far in 2011:



















The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood
A retelling of the story of Penelope, wife of Odysseus, most famous for staying at home while her husband went off for 20years slaying monsters and sleeping with goddesses. My knowledge of greek mythology is basic , at best, so I enjoyed this story for the 'something completely different for me' aspect. It has a strong feminist take on events which I also enjoyed. Penelope had 12 handmaids who were hanged by her son when Odysseus (finally) returns. Their story forms the backbone of the book and Atwood cleverly uses them as the "greek chorus" - a device I got the full benefit of since I listened to this as an audiobook. Its been years since I read any of Atwood's books. I have the Blind Assassin and The Robber's Bride on my to read list for this year also.


The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare - City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass.











I devoured all 3 books in a few days. Young adult, urban fantasy (think angels and demons and everything else too). My poor family was sadly neglected while I read these because I simply *had* to know what happened next. Great characterisations, lots (and lots) of action, obligatory love triangle (which was well done, and didn't even make me roll my eyes once), forbidden love, mysterious heritage, family secrets. These books have them all (even a gay teen struggling with coming out). I'll definitely be buying these at some stage for my little brood of soon to be young adults. Near the top of my list of YA books I've read.


Are you on goodreads? My username is sweetp-1 - friend me :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm aiming to read more this year too - but I think 12 books in 12 months is perhaps more realistic for me! I loved The Blind Assassin, I hope you will too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ambitious! But fabulous! I didn't know the Margaret Atwood one and she's a favourite of mine, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete