Wednesday, May 9, 2012

FO: Wrenna

A couple of years ago I came across a knitting book called "French Girl Knits" at my library. I fell in love with one particular pattern called Wrenna. But like so often happens here, the required yarn ( a super bulky yarn knit on super thick needles) wasn't something easy to source or find. I put it to the back of my very long list of 'one day I would like to make' list and moved on.

My LYS is actually a quilt shop - a delightful little cottage full of delicious fabrics and other pretty things (often feel thankful I don't sew as I could see myself spending a fortune otherwise!) - and she also stocks a few knitting yarns. With the colder weather encroaching she decided to include Big Wool in her next Rowan order...

And that was when I remembered Wrenna.


Three balls of Rowan Big Wool and three days of knitting and I finally got the Wrenna I had wanted for so long.

I really love how this turned out. The knitting is not hard, but on 12.75mm needles it's also not that easy either. A bit like knitting with broom handles! I love how the lace looks in the super bulky yarn though - worth the struggles to see how soft and lofty this knit up.


I've worn it a couple of times already. Once with my glam brooch over a summer dress, and again more casually over jeans. It's perfect for this time of year when the weather can't seem to make up its mind and layering pieces are ideal. I love how it can be both dressy and casual, and I will definitely be wearing it lots this winter.


4 comments:

  1. It looks great! An adult garment knitted in three days? Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book sitting in my living room, having borrowed it from the library and not wanted to give it back. It is one of the few knitting books where I like practically every pattern. Love your version of Wrenna, the clasp you have on it is lovely too, it really sets it off. My favourite is called Nadine, a long tunic top. Am thinking I will just have to buy the book:-)
    thanks for sharing
    martine

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh i like that! I can see why you longed to make it. I reckon with a bulky wool like that you need something simple like that - sleeveless is even better. Warmth without looking like a big puff ball. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great. I considered making it when I made a sleeveless vest with Big Wool last year, but for some reason I didn't. Now I really wish I had!

    ReplyDelete